Skip to main content

Another Summer Intern Joins the CIALAB

CIALAB is pleased to introduce another intern Emine Doganay working through summer’09.

Emine Doganay: I am a graduate student in Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department at Fatih University, Istanbul, Turkey. I just started my summer internship in the Clinical Image Analysis Laboratory at The Ohio State University. I am interested in learning about medical image processing and image analysis. As part of my graduate studies, for the last six month, I have been developing automated detection algorithms (computer-aided diagnosis) to recognize hypertensive patients from digital fundus images. For this summer, I have decided to join a group that is working in the medical imaging area. Therefore, I am really happy to be here. I am sincerely grateful to the Ohio State University that has given me this chance and to be a member of excellent group of professionals studying about the medical image processing area. And also I would like to thank to Dr. Gurcan for his help and support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recent publications

The CIA lab has recently had 4 articles published in PLOS One and the Journal of Urology. Automated Staging Of T1 Bladder Cancer Using Digital Pathologic H&E Images: A Deep Learning approach (Journal of Urology). The paper discusses the need for accurately gauging tumor cell intrusion into Lamina Propria in an effort to substage bladder cancer. It explains how transfer learning in conjunction with Convolutional Neural Networks can be used to accurately identify different bladder layers and then compute the distance between tumor nuclei and Lamina Propria. The article is available here:  https://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(18)41148-2/pdf Identifying tumor in pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms from Ki67 images using transfer learning (PLOS One). This paper examines a proposed methodology to automatically differentiate between NET and non-tumor regions based on images of Ki67 stained biopsies. It also uses transfer learning to exploit a rich set of features ...

CIALAB encouraging talented young minds with summer internships

CIALAB is pleased to introduce the three interns namely Tong Gan, Rosana Rodriguez Milanes and Michael Priddy working through summer’09. Rosana Rodriguez Milanes - I am a third year undergraduate student in Electronic Engineering from Universidad del Norte, Colombia. My experience as a volunteer foreign student in the Clinical Image Analysis Laboratory has been an edifying, gratifying and enriching. Being able to participate, to learn and to collaborate in the Clinical Image Analysis Laboratory during the past two weeks has allowed me to improve my analytical and interpretative skills in processing histopathological and MRI images. I have been able to learn about segmentation, region growing, splitting and merging algorithms development. I have also had the privilege of knowing and interacting with excellent engineers who have helped me improve my skills as a foreign student. I am grateful for the opportunity that the Ohio State University has given me to collaborate and to learn with...

Meniscus research to be presented at 2009 OARSI World Congress on Osteoarthritis

CIALAB work detailing relationships between the meniscus and cartilage, and their implications in the development and progression of osteoarthritis, has been accepted for presentation at the 2009 OARSI World Congress on Osteoarthritis. The analysis was performed by Jeff Prescott, Furqan Haq PhD, Tom Best MD/PhD, Micheal Pennell PhD, Rebecca Jackson MD, and Metin Gurcan PhD. The full abstract appears below. Purpose : To determine associations between meniscus volume and knee cartilage morphological measurements in subjects with osteoarthritis (OA). Methods : All data was obtained from the Osteoarthritis Initiative’s (OAI) public use dataset (www.oai.ucsf.edu). A sample of progression subjects produced by the OAI was used for the study (Subgroup B, release 0.B.2). Out of the 160 subjects in the sample, two had no discernable meniscus and were excluded, leaving 158 subjects in the analysis. The current study focused on the right knee, as this was the only knee for which cartilage measur...